Sunday, January 4, 2009

Nesting

So Jeremy and I both had the majority of the last two weeks off of work. The first week we spent in Michigan and this past week we we just stayed home did work around the house and really relaxed. It was SO nice since we are well aware this is the last hurrah before our little guy arrives. We wanted to make getting the nursery done a priority since our time will be limited over the next month with baby prep classes etc. And while I still have some energy, I really don't want to count on having to do a lot around the house over the next 6-8 weeks, especially after working each day and prepping for my maternity leave at work.

So we really got after it and I am happy to say we got it done! I couldn't be more happy with the results, I love the room, every time I go upstairs I go in and look at it. It was the last room in the house to get painted and was pretty much a blank slate. Jeremy has actually been working on the priming and paint throughout December and he finished it off last week. I think it is the only truly finished room in the house because we put in laminate hardwoods throughout last summer and we still have trim work to do this summer, but Jeremy did all the trim work in the nursery so it would be complete.













I went with a kind of puppies and polka dots theme although there are other little animals etc in there as well. The colors as you can see are a spice red, brown and cream. The room has a huge closet that had really old and bulky doors before, so we took those off and made it part of the room, it will now house our changing table/dresser as well as provide store age. Overall we did really well staying on our budget. We have had the dresser, which we bought at goodwill, for a few years, I just gave it a wipe down with some black paint so it would better match the black brown finish on the crib. We found the bookshelf at a furniture outlet store in State College that sells dents, dings and mis-finished items. The day bed was a garage sale find from a couple of years ago that I painted brown. My thought is it may be nice to be able to sleep in the nursery at least for a few weeks when midnight feedings are numerous. That way Jeremy may catch a little more shut eye as he will still be teaching then. I even made some of the art with my mom. We bought the brown and white puppy pics at BRUS but I bought the fabric for the red tiles at Joann and my mom and I covered some cork tiles I had to make some additional art that I can also pin pictures on. I think the biggest expense was in the closet shelves and bins and that wasn't too bad.

I also washed ALL of the baby stuff over the last week - there was a lot! But now it is all ready to go. I have just a couple of things I need to get over the next few weeks and I need to paint the giant paper "R" that I found at Joann's for 5 bucks. I definately feel good about all that we accomplished.

We also got a lot of other random things done around the house that have been on "the list" for a long time. It felt like we were both "nesting" a bit. It's funny but it still doesn't seem quite "real" I guess it will be soon enough....

2 comments:

Chrystal said...

I love what you did with the room! I can't believe the little guy will be here in just a few short months! Everytime Rece, the sportscaster, is on ESPN, Brook mentions it now. :)

jane said...

It turned out beautiful Chass!! I love the curtains and the puppy prints. The colors are perfect.

I remember having to look at the nursry every time I walked by too. Like you just can't quite believe there is actually going to be a baby in there.