Wednesday, August 12, 2009

New Car....blah, blah, blah

So I ended up getting a new car. I thought I would be driving my Sorento, which I loved and never had a problem with until last week, for a few more years. And then I would not have a payment for a couple of years and then I would get a Volvo XC 90 or something really cool! ;-) Notsomuch....Rather I go pick up a new car tomorrow and instead of feeling excited, I am glad a bad situation is finally ending. Jeremy and I spent the entire day car shopping, we looked at Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, GM's, Kia's, Nissans, etc. etc. etc. In my mind because of all the arguing I had to do all week to no avail, I did not want a Kia, but in reality the Sorento was good to me, for the amt of miles I had on it, I put A LOT less money into it (other than preventative maint) than I did on the two Chevy's prior. So even though I am bitter I can't forget that.

Because I have owned my car for just about 4 years and I financed for 60 months - I still owed on the Sorento. Because of that, I was in a situation where I had to get a good car, with the longest bumper to bumper warranty at a good price and with some darn good financing and incentives to help me with my payoff. After all the searching, I am blah to say its a Kia again. I really didn't have a choice. I got an Optima, it gets 38-40 mpg and has a 5 year 60k warranty - bumper to bumper, which I did not have any issues with last time. It is a nice car and all, it will take me a while to get used to a car vs. an SUV, but the fact is, we only need one 4x4 vehicle.

Kia had the best financing and the best incentives as well. So because I am in a corner I didn't get to hold my grudge for long. I really wanted a Ford, but the price was higher (even with my Avery discount), the mpg was lower, the warranty was only 3yr and 36k and the incentives were half. Booooo. Oh well, it is a purchase of necessity. It will get me too and from work and Wegmans ;-) And at the end of the day, instead of sinking money into a car with 98,000+ miles, I will have a new car that will get me a long way, and I don't drive half as much as I used to. We go pick it up tomorrow. Sigh.....

BTW- No cash for clunkers, I met all criteria BUT one, you have to have the title in hand, and to do that it has to be paid off. Since cash for clunkers isn't expected to last much longer, that wasn't going to happen in time. I did get money for trade, but not much as you can imagine.Your car doesn't trade for much when half of the engine dropped out on I-80.

No comments: