Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ugh

This has been quite a week, my car died on the way to work last Monday and I had to wait for a tow. I mean it really died, it shook and my power steering went out and every light that could light up did. It sucked. Since then I have been without a car (I have a rental now) and last Friday Kia informed me that not only do I need a new engine, the work won't be under warranty. I do drive this car A LOT and when I lived in Michigan there were two years when I drove it 120 miles a day for work on most days. So I have 98k on it, the warranty is supposed to cover up to 100k on the engine and powertrain. NOPE - a bolt failed that was on the "exterior engine components" - it is the interior engine components and the transmission that are covered. So the story goes on and on from here and includes me spending which at this point feels like days with Kia corporate and the dealership on the phone arguing my main points (I have a list, which I won't bore you with here) but if I told you - you wouldn't want to buy a Kia. I need a whole new engine which costs more than is logical to spend. So at this point all options exhausted besides getting an attorney and going for who knows how long without a car, I am going to cut my losses and look at getting a new car. If the dealer can make it "drivable" I can qualify for 4500 for cash for clunkers and there are some good incentives. I am looking at a Ford to start.

On a positive customer service note: I am a Wegman's customer for life. Already LOVE that store, (I can only imagine it must be like the grocery stores in Heaven, since they have an espresso bar and great sushi ;-) now they have really wowed me. I was in there two weeks ago, standing in the diaper isle, contemplating the best diaper deal with the coupons I had and also debating if I wanted to try anything other than pampers which I love. Wegmans has recently come out with "Wegmans Supreme" diapers and I have thought about trying them, but you only really save when you buy the big box and that is a lot of diapers to buy if they can't hold water - so to speak. A manager happened to wander through when I was there and I just made the suggestion to him that since the diapers are new, I would love to be able to actually see what they look like etc. So he asks me what size and walks over to the self grabs a 40 pack and says "I will leave them at the customer service desk for you, if you like them you can get a box next time" - so sure enough after I paid for my groceries I picked up a free pack of diapers waiting for me at the desk. And I really like the diapers, so I indeed go back and get a box, and I made sure to find a manager and tell them that I did indeed by a box. (BTW- I am still using Pampers Baby Dry for nights)
Oh, and one other shopping/product type thing since I am on this - those Debbie whoever "Green Bags" you might have seen on TV or in the store that are supposed to keep your produce good longer - yeah, they work awesome. They get my two thumbs up as well.

Wish me luck with the car drama...

3 comments:

Chrystal said...

Oh Chass, I am sorry to hear about your car problems! If Brook was licensed in PA, I'm sure he'd help you out. But I love your diaper story. It made me laugh. :) Good luck with the car purchase I have a Ford product (Mariner) and have had good luck with it.

jane said...

That SUCKS Chass. Hope you can get the cash for clunkers deal- we did just pour 2 billion more of our hard earned tax dollars into it. Maybe I would enjoy grocery shopping if we had a Wegman's here? can't get much better than sushi and expresso :)

J-Lynn Runs said...

Sorry to hear about the car, but I LOVE Wegmans too! And they just opened a Burrito bar last night which I am very excited about since I can't have their sushi for a few more months now...