Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The dose.

It's a bit like a title for an episode of Sienfeld. And that is a good fit for this story.

So.....

On Monday I decided to take Rece to the doctor, he had a nasty virus that they classified as Pharyngitis and it appeared as if it was gone...but then the cough and snot came back! And it was going on weeks so I wanted to make sure his lungs were clear. The doc said his lungs sounded great, (relief) but he thought the cough/cold was lasting a bit too long - his theory was: it could be a new cold on top of the old cold or it could be a sinus infection. Due to the length of the symptoms he suggested we try a 10 day course of Augmentin. I was both reluctant and okay with this - obviously you don't want to do antibiotics for no reason but Rece hasn't been on them since May, and then before that it was Jan. so a pretty good stretch. Anyway, he sends the script in.
I go to pick it up after work.
The pharmacist is one never seen before. She immediately starts on a high pitched tangent about how she doesn't agree with the dose. It is too high and she tells me she called the doctor and demanded to talk to him.
I ask "well did you talk to him"
She says yes and the doctor confirms that he is treating a sinus infection and also confirms Rece's weight. She continues to talk about the dose and what to do if he has a reaction. She does not listen to me when I tell her he has been on this before. During this whole conversation she starts to mix the suspension.
Next she tells me that there is 14 days in the mix and that I will throw the rest away after the 10 day course.
I get home and I am all frazzled about the drama around the dose. Even though the doctor confirmed it, I still worry. Then I look at the bottle. It looks only about 2/3 full. Weird.
My anal self grabs a clean glass and the teaspoon syringe and I start to measure how many teaspoons are in there. There are 20 - 21 max - there will be nothing to throw away.
I call the Pharmacist back and re-state to her what I understand about how much should be left. She says "where does the liquid come up to on the label"
When I tell her she says...
"Add some tap water"
WTH.
I am totally freaked out now, and I do not give him the meds before he goes to bed. He sleeps through the whole night no coughing. The next morning it seems better, and the next night and morning and night are the same. Tonight he barely coughs and the snot was minimal.

I guess sometimes things really do have a way of working themselves out.

No comments: