Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Diaper Debate

So even though I still have give or take 16 weeks left before I will actually have to change a diaper, I am stressing over what kind of diaper I want to change. Cloth, Disposable, Hybrid?!?! I want to be "green" but I also know that with both of us working full time I also need to be realistic about what will work for our lives. And then there is all the data on whats better/worse for the baby, for the environment, for cost, for day care, it goes on and on. I have read everything from disposables and cloth being equally impactful on the environment (manufacturing of disposables vs. water usage of washing a cloth) to factoring in that disposables have to be manufactured, using all sorts of chemicals, and then after use and discard they fill our landfills for up to 500 years before they go away. And of course I am also interested in penny pinching if I can, so what truly saves in the long run?? My struggle is that the Gdiapers and the AIO cloth diapers are more of an investment than just going out and trying out varieties of disposables. I will feel bad if I get cloth diapers and then don't end up liking them!

Anyway, this week I was excited to see that Target now carries AIO diapers by BumGenius that adjust to baby's changing size and that I can register for! Yea! So I did register for a few, I figure I can start slowly and see what happens. I can buy the G-diapers that I like at the local grocery store so that is good (although same level of up front investment as a AIO cloth diaper) and of course I can go anywhere to pick up a pack of Pampers... Overall, I know that I will end up using both to some extent, maybe cloth on weekends and at night and then either the hybrid's or disposables during day care hours. Who knows....I wish I wasn't so obsessed with planning.....I am sure I sound like a crazy person :-)

Other than my diaper "worries" things are going great. Baby boy is doing all kinds of acrobatics in there and keeping me on my toes. We registered for a bunch of classes offered by our hospital for January:
Childbirth Preparation
Infant CPR
Baby Care Class
an Intro to your Pediatrician thing
and a Hospital/Labor & Delivery Tour

I figure after January is over I will feel either really prepared or completely freaked out....we will see....

2 comments:

jane said...

Probably a little of both in the freaked out and prepared department- lol. It is such an exciting but uncertain time. I too was obsessed with the planning of the little things. "Control the controlables" :)

Sprgtime said...

My husband and I are loving cloth diapering - we were also debating it before our baby was born a few months ago.
I don't even use disposables for day trips or going to library or grocery shopping - I hate them that much.

We do one load of diaper laundry every other day. Dump the diapers in, push start... no big deal at all.

The biggest benefit nobody told me about? When we were using disposables in the beginning (cuz we were hesitant about using cloth and weren't using our stash yet) our baby had blowouts all the time. Poop up the back, down the legs. Even wet diapers would leak onto baby's clothes. SO gross and we always had to keep a few changes of clothes in the diaper bag. With cloth - 3 months now - haven't had a single leak or poop escape. I didn't even use up the remainder of my disposable pack because I got sick of changing clothing at every diaper change.

Talking with some of my new mom friends, it seems you have a choice: wash diapers, or wash lots of baby clothes.
My used baby clothes still look brand new, my friends are stained.