Thursday, October 22, 2009

The early bird gets the worm...apparently those who wait get nada....

Update from my Flu post....This is kind of an ironic story actually.

I was on the fence about getting Rece the flu shot(s) and then we had the scare with the bronchitis and having the doctor think it was pneumonia I was decided I would get the shots and help our odds. With day-care exposure, the fact that we live so close to PSU, and Rece's tendency to not just get a cold but OWN the cold until it turns into something else, I knew I wanted to do the vaccine. But as I am sure you can predict I now cannot find the vaccine....Anywhere.....neither the H1N1 or the seasonal shot. Lots of places offer clinics from time to time but none of them will vaccinate a child because, for one reason, children (especially those who have not gotten the shot before) have to have two doses 30 days a part. So I am on a waiting list at my pediatricians office. And I have spent every lunch hour this week calling health departments etc. trying to find vaccine. The response "We don't currently have any, we hope to get some soon, call back next week" - Ugh.

Then to today, I take Rece in for his ear check after the illness of yore has come and gone. All is declared well, lungs sound good, ears look good. And then the Dr. drops this bomb on me: "Well..." she says "If I were to bet, I would bet that what he had was the Flu...and...if it was the Flu it was probably H1N1 because that is what we are seeing." Huh? She goes on to tell me that the rapid onset of Rece's wheezing and horrible cough and then fever are all leading her to believe that is what it was. Then I ask "But he had the flu swab at the Hospital" to which she replies "In kids there is a 40% false negative rate" - DOUBLE HUH?!? - That horrible pipe cleaner that was shoved up his nose to the back of his throat, not once, but twice and made his little nose bleed- has just a little over a 50/50 shot of being accurate!?!?!?!? Before I can process much of this she concludes by saying something along the lines of "but we'll never know - so get him the shots". Full Circle. I am back to needing to find the shots.

Final irony, I get home tonight from work and there is an news articles on my phone browser from the CDC indicating that 1 in 5 kids probably had some level of the H1N1 during October so far. Do I have the 1 in 5? I will never know. I do know that either way - I am happy he is over whatever that junk was and back to being himself for a while. I know that every time I read an article about the Swine Flu and how it greatly it impacts kids of all ages I feel a little sick. And, I know - I have to find the shots....

2 comments:

ann said...

Interesting. I just watched this video on CBS news the other day about how there are more false positives than false negatives...but I think it's because they're just telling people they have it, rather than doing the testing.

ann said...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5405872n&tag=api

Whoops, forgot to attach the link.