Monday, February 2, 2009

Car seat curious?

Alright another question for the moms out there...you all gave me such great tips on the diapers I am sure your advice on this one will be just as helpful :-)
We installed our car seats on Sunday, and used the LATCH system, which both of our cars have. The installing was fine and we are going to have the State Police inspect our work for free this weekend. But then I went back to some of the info we had recieved that says the seat should be placed in the rear center whenever possible. Well of course the LATCH system is only on the left or right and not in the middle, so I ask - where is your car seat installed? Did you use the LATCH or do the more involved belt install in the middle?

4 comments:

jane said...

Oh boy, car seat questions. I am obsessed with carseat safety. We have both our carseats installed with the latch in our cars. In my opinion it is a tighter intallation that trying to get the seatbelt to an accepptable tightness and recline. I think it is more important for it to be installed correctly than where it is located and it is so hard to do that with a seatbelt. There should be absolutely no give when you move the base from side to side.

Stephanie said...

I agree with Jane. Our one car had latch in the middle but our Jeep did not. We ended up just installing it on one of the sides so we could use the latch. I trust that more than a seat belt.

CJR said...

Thanks ladies!

Erica said...

I saw your blog on the FB page, and thought I might chime in. We have a Rav4 and went to have the State Police check it. Our car only has the latch system on the two sides and not the middle. We also could not get it tight enough in the middle with the belt even with Eric sitting on the base. So the police officer "encouraged" us to put it behind the driver's seat. I am sure they will give you more info this weekend when you go to meet with them.